History of the Section

Dixie History Book

The History of the SR-5 Lodges
(From the 2015 Centennial Dixie Fellowship Rededication Ceremony)
Tsali Lodge #134

“In 1938, Arrowmen of Bob White Lodge 87 in Augusta, GA chartered Tsali Lodge 134 of Daniel Boone Council in Asheville, NC. The Lodge was named after the Cherokee Chief Tsali who sacrificed his own life so those of his people could remain in the Appalachian Mountains. Web Stacey was the Lodge’s first Chief. In the coming decades, Tsali Lodge grew in number, and gave its first Vigil Honor to William Rother, a future recipient of the Distinguished Service Award. In 1964, Tsali Lodge hosted its first Dixie Fellowship at Camp Daniel Boone. The Fellowship’s theme was “Catch the Higher Vision.” In 1983, the Lodge awarded its first two Founder’s Awards, and, in 1988, the Lodge celebrated its 50th Anniversary. In 1998, due to extensive flash flooding, Tsali Lodge was forced to give up hosting the annual Dixie Fellowship. In 2000, Tsali Lodge hosted the Dixie Fellowship “Your Journey Is Just Beginning” at Camp Daniel Boone. A year later, the Lodge launched its first online webpage. Between 2006 and 2012, Tsali Lodge earned six medals for Indian Affairs at the NOAC. The Lodge was named “Lodge of the Year” for the SR-5 Section in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.”

Unali’Yi Lodge #236

“For nearly 75 years, Unali’Yi Lodge 236 has cheerfully served the Coastal Carolina Council of the Boy Scouts of America, headquartered in Charleston SC. Here is a brief look at some of our historical highlights: The lodge is founded in May 1943 after our founder, “Chief” J. Rucker Newbery, is hired as Scout Executive of the council. Newbery was a former OA Area Leader for Region 6, responsible for organizing many of the OA lodges in the Region. Our initial Ordeal was held at Camp Ho-non-wah on May 14-16. Thirty Three candidates went through this first Ordeal, under the guidance of six brothers from Tomo-Chi-Chi Lodge #119 of Savannah GA. The lodge name was derived from the Lenape language translated as “Place Where Friends Gather.” HNW Camp Director Jerome Moskow was appointed as our first lodge chief. 1948 was a busy year for our lodge. That year we hosted our first Area Fellowship, the Area Z Meeting, at HNW. We also sent a delegation to the first NOAC where Newbery received the OA Distinguished Service Award. That year Newbery wrote and compiled the first OA Handbook which was printed in Charleston. In 1952, the lodge hosted its second area fellowship, this time being a member of Area 6B. This weekend had tremendous historical significance as it was the first to be called “The Dixie Fellowship.” Ironically enough, the lodge was moved out of Area 6B (the Dixie Fellowship) the following year to begin a twenty year run in Area 6C. The lodge hosted successful 6C fellowships in 1958, 1964 and the final 6C in 1972. From the very beginning the lodge has had an active Native American program. In 1961-1962 the lodge came to the financial aid of the council. There were plans to dig a lake at Camp HNW as the ever changing tides of Bohicket Creek were considered too dangerous for rowing and canoeing. The lodge dance team put on a series of public performances these two years with the proceeds going to the lake project. Several thousand dollars was raised and Lake McGee became a reality. In 1968, the lodge undertook its most ambitious project, the blazing of the Swamp Fox Trail, a 26 mile trek through the Francis Marion National Forest. Designated a BSA Historical Trail, it would take around three years to complete. Over the years, hundreds of scouts and scouters hiked the trail earning the patch and medal. In the 1970s, the lodge strengthened itself administratively with the establishment of working committees, additional lodge officers, the organization of lodge chapters and the publication of regular newsletters, plan books and camping books. We began using the Elangomat Clan System in 1979. In 1973, we returned to the Dixie Fellowship. In 1977, we hosted the 25th Anniversary of the Dixie Fellowship with OA founder Dr. E. Urner Goodman as our special guest. In 1985 the Tacha Kan To Kan Dance Team (Dancers of the Deer) was born. Over the next two decades this team would make its mark on both the Dixie Fellowships and the National Conferences. At the Dixie Fellowships we won several group dance awards, dozens of individual dance and outfit awards and 15 consecutive sing team wins. At NOAC we won the Wulit Award (Best Native American Program) in 1992 and the national Sing Team championship in 2000. In 1991, the lodge began renovating the old camp ranger house at Camp HNW into J. Rucker Newbery Memorial Lodge. The project was conceived, designed, financed and constructed completely by lodge members. The project was dedicated at our 50th anniversary weekend in May 1993 with over 300 past and present lodge members and guests in attendance. In 2002, we were honored to host the 50th anniversary of the Dixie Fellowship. The following year, we established the Unali’Yi Lodge Hall of Fame. New members are induced into the hall at the end of each decade. As we are now in the 100th anniversary year of our Order, we won the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award for the second consecutive year. We’ll be taking over 100 delegates to the Dixie Fellowship and taking our largest delegation ever to NOAC. In 2018, we will celebrate our 75th anniversary. We are a lodge proud of our history and looking forward to cheerfully serving for another 75 years.”

Catawba Lodge #459

“Catawba Lodge was founded on June 18th, 1951. It was the second Honor Society in Mecklenburg County, the first one being the Order of the Pawnee. Catawba Lodge is named after the Catawba Indians. Our totem is a hornet’s nest. The first brothers were John Holland, Gene Grimes, and Fred Van Treece. We hosted our first Dixie in 1953 with Section 6B. Our first delegation to NOAC was in 1956. In 1961, Catawba Lodge retired its first Golden Arrow. We have had many Section officers with Tanner McFeeters being Section Chief in 2012-2013. We have had 1 Region Chief, Dustin Counts in 2006. In 2016 we will celebrate our 65th anniversary. We are hosting Dixie this year and will be sending a contingent to the centennial NOAC. During its sixty-four years of existence, Catawba Lodge has had a long history of service to scouting and the community. Catawba Lodge was founded on June 18, 1951 in Area 6B by John Holland, Gene Grimes, and Fred Van Treece. Six Arrowmen from Catawba have been awarded the Distinguished Service Award: Olvin Alexander Crenshaw, Jr (1977), Herbert H. Dusty Sparks, Jr. (1981), Nelson Craig Bass (1981), David B. Moody (1986), Frank Sturges (2009), and Dustin Counts (2009). Nine Catawba Arrowmen have served as Section Chief with 12 others serving on a section level. Dustin Counts has also served as the Southern Region Chief in 2006, and David Moody served as National Conference Vice-Chief of Training in 1983.”

Muscogee Lodge #221

“June 15, 1942 marked two beginnings for scouting in central South Carolina. One was the official opening of the new Camp Barstow at its Gaston area location. The other beginning was the chartering of Muscogee Lodge #221. By 1944 Muscogee Lodge had grown large enough to finally have 50 candidates to pass their Ordeal. In March, 1947 Muscogee Lodge hosted the first Area Z Conclave meeting at Camp Barstow. For only three dollars, the brothers of Area Z came together for this historic event. In 1955 the lodge issued its first pocket flap which had a notch for the button and was a modification of the first patch. National once again realigned the sections in 1973; when this move took place we entered into Section SE-3B, made up of lodges of South Carolina and part of North Carolina. This new section’s conclave took the nickname from the area to which many of the member lodges had previously belonged, and became known as the “Dixie Fellowship.” On April 26-28, 1985 Muscogee Lodge, hosted the Dixie Fellowship at Camp Barstow. The theme celebrated was, “70 years in the Spirit,” this was in honor of the seventieth anniversary of the founding of the OA. In 2005, Muscogee hosted Dixie at camp Barstow after a frantic effort to build new structures for this great event. Currently, Muscogee is celebrating 100 years of brotherhood in our Order and looking forward to another 100 years.”

Bob White Lodge #87

“Established in 1936 by J Rucker Newbery, Bob White Lodge 87 prides itself on being the oldest lodge in the Deep South. From our first Lodge Chief, Kenneth Forney, to our current Reed Powell, we have been committed to a life of Cheerful Service to the Central Savannah River Area for 79 years. Our first Vigil Honor member was Paul Whittle in 1954 and our first and only Distinguished Service Award recipient is Jay Widby. Bob White has produced five Section and Area Chiefs. A unique aspect of our lodge is our ownership of an 1813 log cabin that has been a part of our history since 1938. Our lodge is also unique because our name is “Bob White” with two words rather than one like the bird. We became the first lodge in the country to incorporate the centennial totem on a Council Strip Patch, gaining us national attention. We look forward to continuing serving in our Centennial year and into our second Century of Service.”

Santee Lodge #116

“Among the requests received for Order of the Arrow Charters by the National Boy Scouts of America in 1938 one was postmarked Florence, South Carolina. Apparently, Mr. Rucker Newbery had inspired local scouts to become part of the rapidly growing organization of honor campers. The lodge chartered to the Pee Dee Council was the 116th Order of the Arrow Lodge. After a selection period, the name “Santee” was settled upon and duly registered with BSA. The lodge grew slowly, suffering numerous difficulties, which eventually led to a return visit by Mr. Newbery to reorganize the group. After his return, the lodge began to expand and become more involved in the Order and service to the Pee Dee Area Council. Two totems were adopted prior to the middle of the 1950’s. The Carolina Parakeet became the official lodge totem when the first patch was issued in 1955; just before Santee Lodge hosted the Dixie Fellowship for the first time. The actual bird used on the patch was adapted from the Audubon painting of Carolina Parakeets. At this time, the patch sold for fifty cents. At approximately the same time, the first newsletter was published. Its name, The Santee Arrowman, has survived the years and still remains as the title of the current newsletter. On February 28, 1958, the lodge held its first Winter Banquet. Banquets have been held at a variety of locations including Marion, several meeting rooms in Florence, Darlington, Hartsville, Cheraw, Conway and Sumter. Featured speakers have included the world’s strongest man – Paul Anderson, National Order of the Arrow Chiefs Brad Starr and Jeff Herman, American Indian specialists, and many military, political and community leaders, including Lt. Governor Nick Theodore in 1992. A special feature of the banquet is the presentation of the Santee Lodge Red Arrow Awards for outstanding contributions by non-Arrowmen and Founders Awards to one or two brothers who have given outstanding service and example to the lodge. The lodge’s primary functions are its fellowships, held in the fall, spring, and the end of summer camp. These events have varied in dates and occasionally in location. The Spring Fellowship in March of 1963 was held at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. Over the years, the main purposes of these weekends were the induction of new Ordeal members, conducting the Brotherhood and Vigil Honor Ceremonies, and service projects. Like most lodges, Santee Lodge is closely tied to its summer camp, and it spends a great deal of time helping to make improvements to Camp Coker. These projects have included preparatory and repair work to campsites, the re-roofing and repair of many buildings, the construction, maintenance and improvements to the Council Ring and COPE Course, construction of the Dining Hall buttress, restrooms, basketball court and archery and rifle ranges, and numerous bridges, check dams and trails.
Santee was the first lodge to conduct an OA member’s only week of summer camp. The tradition began about 1958 when Arrowmen were encouraged to attend the last week of camp to present a special parent’s night program. In the 1960’s, original scripts were written as the parent’s night program evolved into a full-scale production. Since 1969, only OA members have attended the last week of summer camp with the lodge offering a special program of merit badge sessions and activities. It is at this time that most Ordeal candidates are inducted into the Order. The annual Pageant is presented on Friday night, which also kicks off the Summer Fellowship during which more members are inducted, and officers of the lodge are chosen for the coming year. Over the past sixty years, Santee Lodge 116 has become an active, viable part of the Pee Dee Area Council. Many former youth members of the lodge are still involved in Scouting as Volunteer Leaders. Several members have become professional Scouters and one cannot enter a city, town or community without finding someone that has been touched by the Lodge. Many members have gone on to become Section Officers and serve with distinction. Jody Clark became the first Santee Lodge member to become a national figure as he was elected Southeast Region Chief. Both he and Mac McLean have been honored with the Distinguished Service Award, the National Order of the Arrow’s highest honor. Lodge Adviser David Surrett also holds the DSA from prior service as Section SR-5 Chief, NOAC and NLS Staff member and Region OA Committee member. Members account for about 85% of all Eagle Scouts from the Pee Dee Area Council. Many of the adult members have been awarded the Wood Badge, District Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver. At the National Convention in 1995, Santee Lodge was honored as recipient of the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award, one of only eight presented nationally. In the coming months, Santee will also be awarded the same honor for the year of 2015, one of only eight distinguished. For the past several years, Santee Lodge has been honored as a National Honor Lodge. In 2005, Santee Lodge was one of only two lodges in the Southern Region chosen to receive the National Service Award, an award given on the basis of significant service to the home council. Santee Lodge was also awarded the Innovation Award presented to the lodge with the “best practices” for each region in 2014. Our innovations were the various pioneering projects you saw around Dixie 2014 at Camp Coker, with a special thanks to Larry Green for putting in his time and effort. Endowed with this tradition, Santee Lodge is not afraid of initiating new ideas. With its rich memories of the past and vision of the future, Santee Lodge 116 stands ready to play a continuing important role in Scouting in the Pee Dee Area Council.”

Itibapishe Iti Hollo Lodge #188

“Dr. E. Urner Goodman founded the Order of the Arrow in 1915. Twenty-five years and 187 lodges later, Itibapishe Iti Hollo Lodge was founded as part of the Central North Carolina Council which was then headquartered in Concord. Itibapishe Iti Hollo means “brothers together.” This name was proposed by the lodges founders, thought to include V. Reary, N. Rabb, Ralph Mullinax, Hubert Powell, C.D. Hemphill and George Thomason, Scout Executive at the time. In 1940, Itibap was a member of Area H which included many of the lodges currently in SR-5, but extended down through Atlanta into Tampa, Florida. In 1944, Itibap became a member of Region 6, Area I, which included the Greensboro, Raleigh, Wilson, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Reidsville, and High Point Lodges. The South Carolina lodges formed what was then known as Area Z. During the war years, Itibap was critical to the growth of the Order of the Arrow in North Carolina, providing Ordeal and Brotherhood Honor teams for other lodges throughout the state. Itibapishe Iti Hollo helped organize Nayawin Rar Lodge 296 in Goldsboro, NC. Under the leadership of Scout Executive G. E. Ashwill, Assistant Scout Executive Ralph P. Mullinax, C. D. Hemphill, and Hubert Powell, the lodge successfully hosted the 1946 and 1947 Area Meeting at Morrow Mountain with over 200 Arrowmen in attendance. The 1946 meeting, at which 5 Itibap Arrowmen received the Vigil Honor, also caused some controversy, as others in North Carolina, including then National Chairman Kel Hale, believed that Itibap had “let the bar down” in taking too many men into the Vigil Honor at one time. (Note, the first Vigil Honor members of Itibap were N. Rabb and V. Reary, who “took” their Vigil at the National Meeting held at Chanute Field in 1946) The 7 men selected for Vigil Honor in 1946 created quite the stir, prompting the National Chairman, Chief and others to write letters cautioning the G.E. Ashwill to petition the national organization for the Vigil Honor judiciously. In 1948, Arrowmen of lodges in Region 6-A, including Itibap, were prohibited from attending the National Meeting held at Indiana University due to the polio outbreak. The Area Fellowship, which was to be held at Camp Uhwarrie in October of 1948, was cancelled due to low registration numbers, but the souvenir patch and neckerchiefs were distributed to lodge in order to recoup some of the expenses incurred in planning the fellowship. Itibap hosted the Dixie Fellowship in 1954 at Camp Dick Henning, near Ellerbe, North Carolina. In the following years, the lodge hosted the Dixie Fellowship in 1967, 1972, 1979, 2001 and 2012 all at Camp John J. Barnhardt. In 1981, Itibapishe Iti Hollo changed from the old Section 3B to Section 7, in which we remained in until January 1, 1997. While a member of Section 7, Itibap was consistently recognized for our great lodge spirit. This was evident when our lodge won the coveted Spirit Award at Camp Bowers during the 1988 Old North State Conclave. The following year, we hosted the Conclave at Camp Barnhardt. In 1990, the lodge celebrated its 50th anniversary. The year was highlighted during the Fall Fellowship, which served as a 50th Anniversary Weekend when over 160 Arrowmen from as far away as Virginia came to celebrate. On Sunday of that weekend a time capsule was filled with memorabilia from the lodge and council. The capsule will remained sealed until the lodge celebrates its seventy-fifth anniversary in 2015. In April of 1993, Itibap attended the last SE7 Old North State Conclave hosted by Occoneechee Lodge 104. Following that weekend, the region and section were realigned to include four new lodges from Virginia. The section was then named SR7 because of the newly formed Southern Region. Effective January 1, 1997, Itibap and two other North Carolina Lodges left SR7 and joined SR5 which includes lodges from South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia. The Lodge is celebrating its 75th Anniversary. Currently, the lodge covers seven counties and is divided into seven chapters: Anson, Cabarrus, Montgomery, Richmond, Rowan, Stanly, and Union.”

Skyuka Lodge #270

“In June of 1934, the National Council approved the Order of the Arrow as an affiliate to the Boy Scouts of America. Palmetto Council, before this time, had incorporated two other service organizations known as KANAWA and KUNIEA. During or about 1944, upon suggestions by the National Council, Palmetto adopted the service organization now known as the Order of the Arrow. After research into the cultural background of the area, it was decided the Lodge name would be SKYUKA. It would be named after an American Indian who escorted colonial soldiers through the woods of the Green River valley up through what is now Camp Bob Hardin (Previously Camp Palmetto), to the top of a nearby mountain where the soldiers surprised and defeated the unsuspecting Cherokees. Skyuka was later captured by Indians who cut out his tongue and left him to die on the face of a cliff. During the first few years of Skyuka Lodge there were no volunteer advisors. Franklin Chase, a Field Scout Executive, was selected to be the professional advisor and he remained in that position for several years before the first Lodge Advisor or Chief. Finally, upon mutual agreement by the lodge and the Palmetto Council Camping Committee, Bill Huskey became the first lay volunteer advisor. He had been in the Order of the Arrow and had knowledge of the duties of such a person. During these years the lodge grew in numbers and the first brotherhood and Vigil Honor members were inducted into the lodge. The lodge was then able to accept full responsibility for its actions such as ceremonies, induction of new members, the business parts of the lodge, and finally the keeping and maintaining of lodge records. The Lodge decided it had to have its own “patch.” A committee within the organization was formed to develop an emblem. The first lodge patch was a green triangle with an outline of Skyuka Mountain on it. After a while, the Brotherhood members wanted a patch of their own or at least a special Brotherhood patch of some sort. The patch design was the headpiece of the fire ceremonial totem pole of the Kwaticut Indians of British Columbia and Alaska. The lodge advisor had seen this totem pole while serving with the Canadian Army and recommended it to the lodge. It was so colorful that all members accepted it. We know this totem pole design as our own double-headed thunderbird. As a point of interest, Skyuka Lodge members (Brotherhood) ran the first Brotherhood Ceremonies for Atta Kulla Kulla Lodge in Greenville (Blue Ridge Council). Our Lodge is rich in tradition and you should be proud to be a part of its many years of impressive history.”

Eswau Huppeday Lodge #560

“Our lodge, bearing the national registration number 560, was one of the last lodges to be chartered. It was 1964 before our lodge was chartered and organized. On August 15, 1964, the first business meeting of the Piedmont Council Order of the Arrow Lodge was called to order. The lodge name and totem were chosen, and the first officers were elected. Eswau Huppeday, the Catawba name for the Broad River, was chosen to be our lodge’s name. Our lodge’s dance team has won first place in the regional group dance competition over a dozen times, and has taken first place at the National Order of the Arrow Conference several years. We have also had several individual dancers win at the National Order of the Arrow Conference, as well as our regional competition. In 2014 we celebrated our 50th year anniversary for Eswau Huppeday Lodge. We will be attending the National Order of the Arrow Conclave this year, and we are very excited about celebrating the 100th year anniversary of the Order of the Arrow.”